It is thought that in the UK a burglary is committed every 40 seconds, and what is worrying, as burglary fears are on the rise across the UK, is that homeowners aren’t paying enough attention to the security measures they have in place in order to best protect their homes from burglars.
- Most burglaries happen during the day – It is a common belief that burglary’s take place at night using the cover of darkness, however, the biggest obstacle for a burglar is being disturbed and because of this most burglaries happen during the hours of 10am and 3pm when most people are likely to be out at work and the burglar has a better chance of getting in and out of a property unseen.
- Burglars don’t often want household objects – These days it is rare that a burglar would break into a house for a tv or sound system, instead they are looking for more high value items such as car keys and personal identity information. It is much easier and more valuable to a burglar to take personal information as this can be used to buy high value items online and even take-out credit! With this said it is still worth keeping jewellery and other valuables sorted safely away and out of sight.
- Burglars don’t often carry equipment – Most burglars are opportunists so the burglary will be spear of the moment when they see an ideal target, for this reason they don’t tend to carry any tools or equipment with them as it would drawn much more attention to them, and they would prefer to go unnoticed. In most cases if burglars use tools it is usually tools, they have found around your home, it could be gardening tools that have been left out or an unlocked shed. So, it is very important that you keep all tools locked away security in a garage or shed.
- 47% of Burglaries are not planned in advance – Convicted burglars have revealed that most of the burglaries they have committed have been done from a split-second decision after seeing an opportunity. This is why having visible security measures such as high security locks, CCTV signs and alarms help to deter burglars from your property as they will not see it as an easy target.
- Most burglaries are done by people living nearby – It’s a scary thought but the fact is that in most cases of burglary the offender lives no more than 2 miles away from their target. This is why it is important to try and make your daily routine unpredictable as you can’t be sure who may be observing from a distance. It also helps to keep information such as holidays and days out quiet until after they have happened this way there is no way a burglar can catch wind that your property is going to be vacant.
- Someone is home in around 28% of burglaries – Another shocking fact, but in around 3 in every 10 burglaries someone has been home whilst the burglary has taken place, so even if your home is frequently occupied it is still wise to keep doors and windows locked as burglars will often try a door to see if it is unlocked and just walk right in even if someone is home.
Here at Apex Mobile Locksmiths our aim is to make our customers feel as safe and secure as possible in their own homes, this is why we offer free home security assessments to identify weaknesses in home security and suggest possible improvements. When we install new locks for our customers they are always of the best quality and high security that either meet or exceed insurers minimum security requirements.